The Ultimate Mardi Gras Checklist
Mardi Gras season is a time of year in New Orleans unlike any other! From parades to masquerade balls, and everything in between, there is so much to do, see, smell, hear, and taste. To try it all, check out our Mardi Gras Challenge List below! Let us know how it goes by submitting your scores through our Contact Page.
Disclaimer: Don't drink and drive. Don't accept drinks from strangers. Know your limits; don't consume more alcohol than you personally can handle. DRINK RESPONSIBLY.
1. Wear a Mardi Gras Masquerade Mask Out (+3 Points)
Come on! Its Mardi Gras, embrace the festivities! Plus, everyone looks cool in a Masquerade mask.
2. eat Raw Oysters (+1 Point)
Seafood is kind of a big deal in Southern Louisiana...actually, all food is a kind of big deal in Southern Louisiana.
3. Get on a Parade Float (+10 Points)
This one will be tough. You're going to have to charm the heck out of the Krewe members, but the payoff will be legendary.
4. Swing Dance with a random guy or girl (+3 Points)
Make your way to Frenchmen Street and show off your skills.
5. Spot an Alligator (+5 Points)
You'll likely have to leave the city limits to find one. But if you're not from the South, this adventure is totally worth it.
6. Eat King Cake (+2 Points)
This is the most celebrated treat of the season. Just make sure if you get the baby that you buy the next King Cake...or else!
7. Take a Picture sitting on a Mardi Gras Ladder (+4 Points)
This is one of the most interesting traditions of Mardi Gras. They're everywhere! Ask someone politely if you can use theirs.
8. Spot a celebrity (+2 Points; +8 Points if you talk to them)
Hint: they tend to be found in the larger parades.
9. Wear a costume on Mardi Gras Day (+5 Points)
DO IT! JUST DO IT! No pressure, BUT DO IT!
10. Have a meal that only Consists of Fried Foods (+2 Points)
Let's be real, you didn't come to Mardi Gras to be healthy...
11. Catch a Parade Throw other than Beads (+1 Point)
Dude...beads are way too easy. Lets see you catch something good...
12. Get on a balcony overlooking a parade (+7 Points)
Who doesn't want the best seat in the house? Find a way to watch the celebration from above!
13. Drink a Hand Grenade (+1 Point)
Not a literal hand grenade...duh! Pop into Tropical Isle and grab one of these ice cold beverages.
14. Drink a Daiquiri (+1 Point)
Its about a 50:50 chance it'll be hot out, and nothing feels more refreshing.
15. Eat a Po-Boy (+1 Point)
It's not a sandwich or a hoagie or whatever else. Its a Po-Boy!
16. (Consensually) Kiss someone in a parade (+3 Points)
Let's emphasize the consensual part. That being said, a lot people are feeling pretty adventurous during Mardi Gras.
17. Swim in a bayou or swamp (+4 Points)
Just watch out for alligators!
18. Drink a Hurricane (+1 Point)
If you want to go big on this one, hit up Pat O'Briens.
19. Ride the New Orleans Streetcar (+2 Points)
This is New Orleans' city-wide public transportation, and its extremely cheap!
20. Attend a Mardi Gras Ball (+9 Points)
It may cost a little extra, but it's sure to be a night unlike any other.
21. Attend a crawfish boil (+4 Points)
If you're looking for something truly Southern Louisianan, eat some crawfish. Also, if its not already, your mouth should be watering.
22. Meet someone with a Yat Accent (+2 Points)
You'll know it when you hear it. It's like Brooklyn meets the South.
23. Convince a street performer to pay you (+5 Points)
Should make for an interesting conversation.
24. Buy any paraphernalia with the word "DAT" on it (+3 Points)
Because like...Who DAT be messin' with the Saints? Ya know?
25. Listen to Live Jazz (+2 Points)
You can totally do this while completing that swing dance challenge! Plus, you know you totally wanted good music when you came to NOLA.
26. Drink a Sazerac (+1 Point)
This is the Official Cocktail of New Orleans.
27. Buy a round of shots for a bachelor or bachelorette party (+8 Points)
This kind of group is not hard to come by in New Orleans...
28. Get called into a street performance (+4 Points)
There are SO MANY street performers in the French Quarter. If you try hard enough, this shouldn't be too difficult.
29. Eat a beignet at Café Du Monde (+1 Point)
Its just iconic, and you get the view of Jackson square right there. Not much to complain about.
30. Play Craps at Harrah's (+2 Points)
A craps table that's hitting might have even more energy than the streets of Mardi Gras...which is seriously no easy feat.
Let us know your Challenge list score!
IMPORTANT NOTICE: YOU MUST BE AGE 21 OR OLDER TO COMPLETE THIS FORM. BY FILLING OUT THIS FORM, YOU ARE DECLARING TO BE AGE 18 OR OLDER. FIRST TIME VISITING WILL NOT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR PERSONS UNDER AGE 21 FILLING OUT THIS FORM.